4 c white flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 c warm water
1 c lard for frying (or your choice of oil)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add warm water to dry ingredients.
- Knead until dough is soft and elastic and does not stick to bowl. (If necessary, add a little more warm water.)
- Shape dough into balls the size of a small peach. Let these sit for 15 minutes.
- Pat out a bit, pinch edges and then pat back and forth by hand until dough is about 1/2 to 3/4" thick and is round. Make a small hole in the center of the round.
- Melt lard in a heavy frying pan.
- Carefully, put rounds into hot fat, one at a time. Brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.