Chicken on a Stick (or not) - Yakitori Recipe
5 T soy sauce
2 T sugar
1/2 cup chopped leeks
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup of sake
1 T water
6-7 medium sized chicken thighs with bone, skin and fat removed.
Combine the first six ingredients and mix thoroughly. Heat (do not boil) and use as marinade.
- Optional - cut chicken into 1 inch or bite size pieces - if you wish to cook them on skewers.
- Add chicken to marinade. Refrigerate at least 1/2 to 1 hour
- If using skewers, soak the skewers in water until they are thoroughly wet. This will keep them from burning while grilling.
- Place on grill and cook until done.
- To cook in the oven, bake at 375 degrees. If cooking in oven, you may want to use metal skewers or wrap foil around the wooden skewers so they don't burn in the oven.