Candy Bar Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3 t vanilla
1 t salt
4 cups raw quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 X 9 X 2 inch pan with oil.
- With a spoon or electric mixer on medium speed, mix the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the corn syrup, vanilla, salt and rolled oats and beat on low speed to mix ingredients well.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the greased pan with the back of a spoon or spatula. Bake on the rack in the center of the oven 15 minutes.
- While the mixture bakes, mix the peanut butter and chocolate in a small bowl.
- Remove the pan from the oven and at once spread the peanut butter-chocolate mixture evenly over the top to cover until the heat melts the chocolate.
- When cool, cut into 27 bars and remove from the pan with a spatula.
When I was 8 years old, I received the cookbook "Let's Start to Cook" as a birthday present. I discovered this recipe in it and made it so much the page came out of the cookbook and (I thought) it was lost forever. Several years ago, I discovered Amazon's used book portion of the website and found another copy!!! I'm putting this on the website so that it will never be lost again.